Adjunct Project: Co-Organizer for Organization and Planning
Applications Due: April 1st, 2022
The Doctoral and Graduate Students’ Council (DGSC) seeks candidates for the open position of Co-Organizer for Organization and Planning at the CUNY Adjunct Project.
The Adjunct Project is an affiliate organization of the DGSC. Its three co-organizers work with each other, the DGSC, and labor organizing efforts on and off-campus to advocate for, share information with, and collaboratively build the power of CUNY adjuncts and Graduate Center student workers. The organization has as its mandate to raise consciousness on the state of academic labor as a whole.
The new coordinator will serve alongside two other co-organizers from April 2022 to June 30, 2022, with the possibility of reappointment, and be paid an annual stipend of approximately $4,787.60 to be paid in monthly payments throughout the year. Applicants must be matriculated Graduate Center students with experience as CUNY adjuncts or adjunct-equivalent roles.
The successful applicant will work together with the other co-organizers of the Adjunct Project, who are collectively responsible for:
- organizing with CUNY adjuncts and student workers around working conditions and overlapping struggles; planning workshops, discussions, and other programming aligned with the Adjunct Project’s mission;
- liaising with other groups on CUNY campuses, including but not limited to the Professional Staff Congress (PSC), adjunct groups, and undergraduate groups;
- stimulating awareness, discussion, and collective action around adjunct and student worker issues among the broader Graduate Center community as well as across the CUNY campuses;
- identifying changes in national, state, and local labor relations relevant to graduate student adjuncts;
- updating website and social media content and producing other publicity and materials regarding issues, information, and events;
- maintaining the Adjunct Project’s operations, including tracing finances and responding to emails;
- ensuring that all activities of the Adjunct Project are consistent with the DGSC Constitution and Bylaws; and
- hiring consultants, contingent on need and funding.
The official job description for the Co-Organizer for Organization and Planning can be found here, under 4.1.d.ii
The Co-Organizer for Organization and Planning shall be responsible for:
- organizing regular Adjunct Project meetings and maintaining membership contact lists;
- maintaining a directory of relevant Graduate Center, CUNY, PSC, and other contacts;
- receiving input on and facilitating implementation of long-term planning; and
- serving as official liaison to the DGSC.
We specifically seek applications from individuals with the ability to contribute to the continuing commitment of both the Adjunct Project and the DGSC to equity and inclusion, social and cultural diversity, and the transformative power of our differences. We seek those that can engage in thoughtful and intentional methods to work to resolve issues, including competing demands, sensitive situations, and conflicts. As well as to proactively develop and nurture the talent of others; co-constructing goals, objectives and development plans, and providing ongoing constructive engagement and feedback. Additionally, successful applicants are sensitive to the diverse perspectives of the varying stakeholders and work with them to resolve differences.
We are particularly interested in applicants with digital organizing and advocacy experience (Twitter, Facebook, website, graphics development, as a primary facet of this position will include digital event management (political education, webinars, panels, actions, etc.). The search committee invites applicants to identify their strengths and experiences in these areas and describe how they would further this goal at the Adjunct Project.
Candidates must forward CVs and cover letters indicating the position they are interested in to Sharanya Dutta, DGSC Co-Chair for Student Affairs at (email@example.com) by April 1st, 2022.
While COVID-19 social distancing measures are still in effect, this position will be remote. We do have an office on campus, but we urge everyone on staff to not go to the GC office and to work from home for the time being. If you are not in New York City due to COVID-19, you may still apply. However, our intentions are to be back in person, when it is fully safe to do so.